Friday, June 28, 2013

Interesting Week

Now, I am not what I would call a full-time, capital C Cyclist. I only mostly commute to work, I have some sad-looking panniers, I have a cheese-burger bell and I'm fairly certain I barely know what parts of a bike are which when pointed to. Thankfully, you don't actually need to be a bike repair guru to seem like one to the common man (read: recreational cyclist).



Last Friday I pedaled my happy ass to work and found my co-worker's kiddo lamenting her flat. Let me assure you that fixing a flat on an old, heavy, MTB style Huffy with rusted, bolt-on wheels was probably not on my list of things I would ever want to do, but I had the kit, tools and pump to remedy her situation. I mayyyyyy have gone a little over-board and not only fixed the flat, but adjusted the brakes and lubed, well, pretty much everything that sounded as terrible as it looked. I mentioned needing new some new stuff if she was really into keeping it as a way to get around, but was ignored until a part I mentioned up and popped off the bike. The rest of the day went by fairly quickly and soon I was free! All I had to do was snag some cash out from the bank for the Woolfest event I was attending at the Lake Farmparks later that day. So, after work I hopped onto my noble steed, Lionel the Surly, and headed south on Som towards Mayfield Rd*.

Mayfield was a hot, stinky mess that had me running up against the curb more times that I was comfortable with, so.... I opted for the sidewalk (I know, I know, but I didn't feel like dying.) and came across ANOTHER broken down MTB style Huffy. This time with a pedal that had just popped off. Yes, you read that right, POPPED OFF. I am not sure how you even do that. I do know she bought it on sale at Walmart and that I reattached it without any issues. I also told her that if she wanted to lower the likelihood of that ever happening again, she should consider a not-a-Walmart bike. Just spend a little more and you probably won't hate cycling or have mishaps that cripple it altogether. Seriously, come on.


Thankfully, the day was not all me running about puffing up my ego for minor tasks a trained monkey could do given the time and inclination.
I got over to my co-worker's and knit until it was time to go to the Woolfest Wine and Fiber tour. It was so much fun!

 "Experience an  evening of wines and fibers from three of the most exciting yarn and fiber producers, Italy,  Australia and South America. Enjoy a fashion  show featuring garments hand knit in the yarns  from these areas of the globe while tasting wines  from each of the featured regions."

 Since the people that were supposed to model were stuck in Chicago, a couple husbands were roped into modeling a few projects. They were magnificent. I may have said that I wouldn't post this online. Okay, I said no Facebook, so, hah! I kept my promise.  I also bought some gorgeous Island Yarn in Pagoda (superwash bamboo-blend) that I plan on turning into yoga socks. It feels so scrumptious and the colorway is lovely. I'll have to take a picture and toss it up all caked up for you guys to see (all 3 of you!)

And, on that note, I am off. It appears my dog has misbehaved by treating the living room rug as a personal toilet. Wheeeeeeee.....Ugh.



*For those of you unfamiliar with the area, think urban sprawl of the worst variety. Car-centric with complete disregard for the fact that people are pedestrians outside of their 4-door wheelchair. Cross-walks start flashing red 1/2-way through an intersection. Really?! But the real cherry-on-top for Mayfield Rd is how terrible it is to ride on. I will gladly ride on the sidewalk in-between Som and just after Golden Gate Plaza for 1 reason: The on-ramps and off-ramp are right next to each other. No one pays attention to the roads in that area anyway, let alone follows the speedlimit.

No comments:

Post a Comment